We Still Need Volunteers:
Be a part of the athletes’ journey as they reach their goals and cross the finish line. This event cannot happen without the support of volunteers like you! If you can help during the Tri events on Saturday or the Run events on Sunday let us know by emailing us at volunteer@TriFREAKS.com. Friends and family are welcome to help as well, and the more support we have the better your experience as the athlete will be as well.
Every volunteer can receive up to a 50% discount code that can be used for any TriFreaks race. For more details visit our volunteer details page. Ocean Shores Big Weekend benefits Homeless Youth Education Fund. If you have a friend or family member help us as a volunteer you can earn up to a 50% credit for our races as well.
If you are racing on Saturday, you could help us on Sunday, and vice versa. You’d certainly earn our appreciation.
Athletes’s Course Meeting and Swim Clinic
Along with a complete course overview, BASE Training is offering a free swim clinic at the Ocean Shores Packet Pick-up at the Ramada Inn Hotel and Resort at 7:30 pm on July 12th. The clinic will be covering detailed information on Total Immersion swim techniques with emphasis on triathlon open water swims. After a short presentation, we will have a chance to see a demonstration of Total Immersion swim technique from Coach Ryan in the hotel pool and you will have a chance to jump in a try out a few of the drills and tips for yourself. So, bring your swimsuits and get ready to swim with greater efficiency and less effort.
To reserve your spot, contact Dana at Dana@TriFREAKS.com.
Pre Race Carb Loading Pasta Dinner:
The Ramada Inn Hotel & Resort has an attached restaurant that will be offering a Carb Loading Dinner for the 1/2 Iron Triathletes and Duathletes on Friday the 12th from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm, and on Saturday the 13th from 7:00 to 9:00 pm for the Half Marathon Runners. Family, friends, and participants in shorter distances are welcome as well. The cost is $10.99 per person and will be due at the door.
Packet Pickup Information:
Please review the Weekend event schedule for specific packet pickup times and locations. All participants can also pick up their packets on both days of race morning at the specified times in the weekend schedule. Please note that Saturday morning you may only pick up packets for Saturday’s triathlon events. Both morning locations will be in North Bay Park. There will be an expo at packet pickup located at the The Ramada Inn Hotel & Resort. The expo will also feature the ability to pre-register / make appointments for other activities in Ocean Shores you can do outside of the race during the weekend, such as horse back riding. We’ll announce more specifics in the athletes instructions as we get closer to the race.
The 2013 Ocean Shores Big Weekend will include:
Saturday, July 13th 2013:
- Half Iron Triathlon ~ 1.2 Mile Swim ~ 56 Mile Bike ~ 13.1 Mile Run
- Half Iron Duathlon ~ 3.1 Mile Run ~ 56 Mile Bike ~ 13.1 Mile Run
- Olympic Triathlon ~ .9 Mile Swim ~ 24.8 Mile Bike ~ 6.2 Mile Run
- Olympic Duathlon ~ 3.1 Mile Run ~ 24.8 Mile Bike ~ 6.2 Mile Run
- Sprint Triathlon ~ .5 Mile Swim ~ 12.4 Mile Bike ~ 3.1 Mile Run
- Junior Tri For Kids ~ 50 Yard Swim* ~ 2 mile Bike ~ .25 Mile Run
*Kids Must Be Able to Swim for the Tri For Kids
Sunday, July 14th 2013:
- Half Marathon
- 10k Run
- 5k Run
- Friday July 12th, 2013: Early Packet Pickup Day:
- Saturday July 13th, 2013: Tri Fest Race Day
- 5:45 am: Packet Pick-Up & Late Registration: opens at North Bay Park.
- 6:00 am: Transition Area Opens to all distances.
- 6:50 am: Mandatory Pre-Race Meeting for 1/2 Iron Triathlon.
- 7:00 am: 1/2 Iron Triathlon Starts.
- 7:15 am: Transition Area Closes to all distances.
- 7:20 am: Mandatory Pre-Race Meeting for 1/2 Iron Duathlon.
- 7:30 am: 1/2 Iron Duathlon Starts.
- 7:35 am: Mandatory Pre-Race Meeting for Olympic Triathlon.
- 7:45 am: Olympic Triathlon Starts.
- 8:05 am: Mandatory Pre-Race Meeting for Sprint Triathlon
- 8:15 am: Sprint Triathlon Starts.
- 9:00 am: Post Race Food Open! Bon Appetite!
- 10:00 am: Sprint Triathlon Awards Ceremony.
- 10:30 am: Olympic Triathlon Awards Ceremony.
- 11:00 am: Tri for Kids / Youth Starts.
- 12:00 pm: Tri for Kids / Youth Awards Ceremony.
- 12:30 pm: 1/2 Iron Triathlon & Duathlon Awards Ceremony.
- 3:30 pm: Finish Line Closes for Multisport Day.
- 3:30 pm: Post Race Food Closes!
- Saturday July 13th, 2013: Foot Fest Packet Pickup Day
- 7:00 pm: Packet Pick Up Closes for the day.
- Sunday July 14th, 2013: Foot Fest Race Day
- 6:30 am: Packet Pick-Up & Late Registration: opens at North Bay Park.
- 7:20 am: Mandatory Pre-Race Meeting for Half Marathon.
- 7:30 am: Half Marathon Starts.
- 7:35 am: Mandatory Pre-Race Meeting for 10k Run.
- 7:45 am: 10k Run Starts.
- 7:50 am: Mandatory Pre-Race Meeting for 5k Run
- 8:00 am: 5k Run Starts.
- 8:15 am: Post Race Food Open! Bon Appetite!
- 9:00 am: 5k Run Awards Ceremony.
- 9:30 am: 10k Run Awards Ceremony.
- 10:00 am: Half Marathon Awards Ceremony.
- 12:00 am: Post Race Food Closes.
All swim waves will be self select and will start in 3 to 5 minutes increments based on how many participants are in each category. By self select we mean that you decide what wave you want to go in. The system is designed to let the competitive swimmers go first, then the not so competitive swimmers. It provides a safe environment where nobody has to get swam over like some events have happen a lot. It works great, and allows both men and women that are faster swimmers to compete against each other.
Course Cut Off Times:
Triathlon Cut Off Times: Cut Off Time for the 1/2 Iron and all other events is: 3:30 pm. Runners should be starting their 2nd lap for the 1/2 iron at 1:45 pm or will be required to withdraw from the race. Total time to finish is 8 1/2 hours. Athletes wishing to finish after these times will be required to do so without their bib number on and without the support of the race. The duathlon is a run, bike and then run. The start of the run will be at the same time as swim for the equal length triathlon. Duathlon runners will do a mass start right outside the transition area to avoid crossing paths with the full triathlon athletes.
Run Event Cut Off Times: Cut Off Time for the 1/2 Marathon, and all other running events is 12:00 pm.
Course Maps & Details
If you are participating in the Ocean Shores Big Weekend Tri & Foot Fest then knowing the course is 100% your responsibility. So make sure you familiarize yourself with the course and ask any questions you have before the event. Courses will be marked well, and we will do our part to make sure you know where to go. However, ultimately it is YOUR responsibility to know the course. If you ask anyone other than race officials, (volunteers are NOT considered race officials) and they point you the wrong way, it is STILL your responsibility if you end up going the wrong way. Those are USAT & USATF rules, and these are USAT and USATF Sanctioned Races, so again, do your part and know the course and take a close look at the course maps.
- For information on the courses please visit the “Course Details” tab above.
- For information on the tide table for the run, visit here.
Packet Pickup Information:
Please review the above event schedule for specific packet pickup times and locations. All participants can also pick up their packets on both days of race morning at the specified times in the weekend schedule. Please note that Saturday morning you may only pick up packets for Saturday’s triathlon events. Both morning locations will be in North Bay Park. There will be an expo at packet pickup located at the The Ramada Inn Hotel & Resort. The expo will also feature the ability to pre-register / make appointments for other activities in Ocean Shores you can do outside of the race during the weekend, such as horse back riding. We’ll announce more specifics in the athletes instructions as we get closer to the race.