Volunteers help make adventure races possible for the athletes to compete in a fun, safe, and organized way. We believe that those of who give your time and energy to help support these races should be treated as well as, if not better than, the racers. We work hard to make sure that you receive the resources necessary to be a successful volunteer, that you’re safe, as comfortable as possible, and that you have a great time outside with us and the racers in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
So, why volunteer when you can just watch? Because you’ll receive the adulation of the racers, be well fed at the after-race party and get free swags, but most of all, you’ll be an integral part of the event. Some volunteer because they’re interested in endurance racing and want to check it out up close; some are racers who need a down day; some are friends, family, or significant others of racers who want to be a part of the festivities and share in the fun. Here’s a brief outline of some of the benefits you will receive as a volunteer:
- Join us for a meal at the pre-race and post-race party.
- Free entry into pre-race prize raffle. Lots of great prizes from sponsors are raffled off!
- Cool race swag bag with gifts and samples from our sponsors.
- Get an first hand, insider look at endurance event management.
- Gratitude from racers & race organizers, and a deep sense of personal satisfaction!
What kind of things will I do as a volunteer?
Race volunteers do a wide variety of things, including but not limited to:
- Course Design – Provide ideas on race course and assist in obtaining permits.
- Course Set Up/Take Down – Set up checkpoints pre-race & remove them post-race.
- Registration – Record racer info.
- Headquarter Coordination – Keep track of team status & location throughout the race.
- Manning Checkpoints /TA – Record who has come in to a checkpoint/TA and when.
- Timing – Record the time as racers cross the finish line.
- Special Events Coordination – Instruct racers on completing the special event.
- Refreshments – Prepare and serve food for the pre-race and post race party.
- Mandatory Gear Checks – Check that teams have the mandatory safety gear.
- Emergency Medical Assistance (medically trained volunteers only) – Support racer medical needs.
How far will I have to go from race HQ?
There are many locations and jobs that you can sign up for some are at the race starting point/Headquarter, some are just a short distance away, some are more remote for the adventurous volunteer. We’ll do our best to accommodate your preferences and abilities. The web sign up form gives you the chance to select for yourself.
Can I volunteer with a friend?
Absolutely! If you like to work on the same location and jobs with your buddy, just let us know and we’ll make that happen.
What if I don’t know anyone?
We’ve found that race volunteers are amongst the warmest and friendliest people you’re likely to encounter. Whether by yourself, or with a friend, you’ll meet some great new people!
How do I signup?
If you’re interested in signing up as a volunteer, or simply want to find out more about volunteering opportunities, just shoot us an email at volunteer@TriFREAKS.com.