If you want to refocus your training to achieve higher levels of fitness as we all know it comes down to being consistent. Daily workouts over time through gradual progression are where the significant benefits occur and the result in most cases is improved racing times. To avoid injuries it’s imperative to monitor the effort and starting with a manageable goal.
Consider the following Streaks to add to your training programs:
- Running Streak – This can be done a multitude of ways including daily time or mileage goals. Focus on an aggressive goal – 1 month, 2 months of not missing a run.
- Pushup Streak – Start with a daily goal of 50 and increase over time for the next 30 days.
- Swimming Streak
- Racing Streak – every weekend for an extended period
- Meditation Streak for 30 Days – 20 minutes a day
- Cycling or Rowing Streak
- Speed work Streak – consider speed work sessions at a minimum of 2 times per week for several months. (Again watch the workload to avoid injuries and be smart). This can have dramatic effect on race performance.
- Hit The Hills Streak – Can be done with running or cycling and the focus is to have a daily workout that includes hills, hill repeats or a combination.
- Use a program such as Insanity, P90X, etc. and do not miss one day of the workouts for the entire program time period.
- Simple Exercise Streak – focus on at least one workout per day and not missing for several months.
There are many versions or combinations you can consider to add to your streak. It becomes a mental game and sometimes life will get in the way but it’s always easy to start another streak. Beyond the fitness gains, the mental training components are significant by doing a long streak. Good luck!
By Wayne Kurtz
Wayne Kurtz is founder of RaceTwitch.com and Endurance Racing Report, he has a lifelong passion for racing in various endurance sport races throughout the world. He is also the author of: ‘Beyond the Iron, a training guide for ultra-distance triathlons.’