Aberdeen Rotary Club has established the Aberdeen Rotary Student Support Fund to provide assistance to the Homeless Youth Education Fund. Grants are available to students in Grays Harbor County school districts including: Aberdeen, Hoquiam, Lake Quinault, Montesano, Elma, Oakville, North Beach, Ocosta, Satsop, Wishkah, Taholah, and McCleary. Each district has a designated homeless liaison who can assist students with accessing HYEF grants.
HYEF’s mission is to assists transitioning* students, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act, between 12-21 yrs old by linking them to existing services or providing non-existing services.
Students seek HYEF support by completing an application indicating school of attendance, attendance history, transitioning status, description of need and cost. The application is then signed by the designated liaison and mailed, faxed, or hand delivered when expedition is needed. The HYEF board reviews the applications at the monthly board meeting or, when expedited, through email.
Current projects include:
- Car tabs, 2 months vehicle insurance and phone card- Aberdeen High School (AHS) Senior
- Yearbook- Lake Quinault Senior
- Phone card- AHS Senior
- Wrestling Camps Fees- AHS Junior
- Football Camp Fees- AHS Junior
- Senior Portraits- 4 AHS Seniors
- Rental Assistance- Teen parent Harbor High
- Name change, birth certificate and state ID- AHS Junior
HYEF has 9 board members. For more information about the fund please contact the current director: Heather Lawhead email@example.com or 360-538-2253.
*transitioning is used in place of homeless